Although saw palmetto is mainly used to help the prostate, it is also used by herbalists for:
- Acne, which is highly affected by hormones
- Prevention of bladder infections related to BPH
- Premature balding, which is linked to the conversion of testosterone to DHT
- Polycystic ovary syndrome, which typically is characterized by DHEA and testosterone excess
- Prostatitis-inflammation and infection of the prostate
- Prostate cancer, which is affected by hormonal factors
The saw palmetto extracts should contain 85% to 95% fatty acids and sterols. The total dosage should be 320mg daily. Give saw palmetto extract a “trial run” of at least four weeks. In some men it may take up to two months before improvements begin.
What Are The Side Effects?
The only reported side effect is stomach upset in a small number of users. If you have that problem, try taking the herb with meals.