Many fruits and vegetables are high in antioxidants, and the more you can get in your diet, the better. Here are some of stars.
- Grapes, strawberries, cherries, and I blueberries all contain phytonutrients known as flavonoids that have i potent antioxidant activity.
- Red wine and red grape juice have also been shown to have the flavonoids that are protective against heart disease.
- Citrus fruit-including oranges, lemons, and limes-all contain flavonoids.
- Carrots contain the carotenoids that help prevent cancer. These carotenoids are also found in orange and yellow types of squash.
- Cruciferous vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and kale, contain various antioxidants. (They also have I cancer-preventing phytonutrients such as indoles and sulforaphane.)
- Garlic and onions have antioxidants that help prevent cancer and heart disease.
- Tomatoes are rich in the antioxidant lycopene that helps to prevent prostate cancer.
- Tea contains polyphenols, potent antioxidants that protect humans against cancer and heart disease. Both green tea and black tea have polyphenols (green tea has the higher concentration).